Coffee is an essential part of the day for many people. It helps to jump-start your brain in the morning and provides a nice break from work during the day. Making espresso at home can be a lot cheaper than buying it every single time you want it, and there are many machines out there that will make coffee just as good as anything you get at Starbucks. The Bambino Plus espresso machine by Breville is one such machine.
This review will discuss what makes this pre-entry-level espresso machine great for anyone who loves coffee! Don’t forget to read the What You Should Know Before You Buy section as it’s filled with all the details of our research.
Table of Contents
Breville Bambino Plus Review 2023 Summary
- Sleek and feature-packed espresso maker.
- Good machine to brew espresso-based drinks and practice latte art.
- Heats up in 3 seconds.
- Easy to operate.
- Has automatic milk frother and temperature sensor.
- It doesn’t have a hot water dispenser.
- It has a small drip tray.
- Requires a cup raiser for small cups to avoid coffee getting cold faster.
- The material used is less than the ideal.
Breville is a company with a fantastic legacy that dates back to 1932. They make products for the modern, busy person who wants quick and easy access to food – even in the morning hours when you’re just trying desperately not to go face-first into your coffee mug before going off on their day.
As mentioned, Breville is one of Australia’s most successful brands because they’ve been focusing their efforts on product innovation since 1932! They haven’t slowed down either – today, they still make things like coffee makers and blenders but now also include microwaves, kettles, toasters, and other kitchen appliances.
Breville Bambino Plus – The Good and The Bad
Breville Bambino Plus is a single-steel boiler espresso machine highly recommended to those new in the espresso market and is vying for a straightforward machine that can prepare third-wave specialty coffee.
This espresso machine can fit cozily in any small kitchen space with its sleek measurement of 12.6 high and 7.7 wide. Despite its small build, it comes with practical features that enable you to pull single and double espresso shots.
You can use the Bambino Plus if you are someone who drinks coffee in the morning and leaves right away. In a matter of 3 impressive seconds, you already got your favorite brew.
Breville’s Bambino Plus espresso machine is perfect for entry-level and moderately skilled coffee enthusiasts. It has a sleek, compact design that makes it ideal for small kitchen spaces! The powerful device can produce rich shots of delicious espresso with the push of just one button – as well as steaming perfectly textured milk on demand.
The Bambino Plus can heat up fast in 3 seconds, yet its pre-programmed setting for double-shot espresso cuts off the extraction quickly. Such shortcuts often yield a duller or a “play-safe” espresso.
Since Breville’s Bambino Plus is a compact-sized coffee maker, you have to hold it in place while locking (or unlocking) the portafilter. Compared to other Breville models with hot water dispensers, the Bambino Plus doesn’t have any. (We shared a helpful hack for dispensing hot water at the WYNKBYB section.)
So if you’re expecting a home brewer delivering barista-quality performance in terms of complete flavor extraction, better choose either the Rancilio Silvia or the Breville Dual Boiler.
The Bottom Line
The Bambino Plus is an excellent machine to explore the art of making cafe-quality espresso if you’re new to espresso-making. It’s tiny (a size comparable to a shoebox) and effortless to use. It’s an espresso machine for anyone who’s always in a hurry because it can prepare espresso in 3 seconds.
If you’re looking for an espresso machine that can be the jack of all trades – from heating water for Americanos to preparing espresso-based drinks like cappuccino, lattes, or macchiato, then you’ll want to go bigger with something like the Breville Barista Express.
Breville Bambino Plus Main Features & Benefits
You can always get the best deals when you know about the features and benefits of a product. This section will discuss what there is to know about this espresso maker of the hour:
Performance and Quality
Precise Espresso Extraction
Breville espresso machines have a PID that delivers water at the right temperature +/- 2°C for optimal espresso extraction. At the same time, the low-pressure pre-infusion guarantees a better-tasting cup by gradually increasing the pressure at the beginning of the cycle and drawing out the coffee extracts evenly during the extraction.
Three-second Heat Up
The Bambino Plus makes espresso in just 3 seconds, with precise extraction and a fast heat-up time thanks to its ThermoJet heating system. Its quick heat-up time saves you from the effort of preheating your espresso machine for minutes or at night before you can enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning.
Microfoam Milk Texturing
The Bambino Plus has an automatic steam wand dedicated to creating texturized microfilm milk. You can also manually adjust the milk temperature and texture to your heart’s content in the control panel.
Though the microfoam milk texturing function of Bambino won’t provide you with the ultra-smooth microfoam, which is achievable when done with a hands-on machine and LOTS of practice, the device can still give you promising textured microfoam milk that isn’t shabby, either!
So if you’re not seeking perfection when it comes to microfoams in your espresso, the Bambino Plus is enough to give you a barista-quality specialty coffee.
The Bambino Plus has a big name, coming from a well-known espresso machine manufacturer – Breville. Yet, in reality, the espresso machine is compact and straightforward. It is surprisingly easy to operate, and any pre-entry coffee lover can use it without difficulty.
Breville Bambino Plus is a sleek, elegant, and cleverly designed espresso machine that will please even the most discerning coffee connoisseur. Its compact size makes it easy to fit on any countertop, and its stainless steel exterior looks good and is durable enough to last for years.
Its cute appearance makes it highly recommended to any coffee lover who wants to establish a small coffee bar at home. However, if you were expecting barista-quality coffee that super-automatic machines can prepare, lower your expectations.
The Bambino Plus’ solid design offers excellent value for money. One of the commendable features of this machine is that it automatically froths milk with its onboard temperature control sensor and brews a delicious third-wave coffee.
While the Bambino Plus can guarantee ease of use to any coffee lover with its semi-automatic operational features, it doesn’t offer the same convenience as super-automatic machines.
The control panel is easy to operate. There are buttons for a single shot of espresso, two shots of coffee beans, and a button that will froth milk. There is also a steam button for milk or if you just want to make foam.
The machine has three buttons on the front. You press a button to turn it on and then use a different button to turn it off. The device will go into standby mode after a while if you don’t use it.
Similarly, it allows you to achieve balanced and consistent coffee extracts using the right amount of ground coffee. The 54mm porta-filter with 19-22 grams is the key formula to achieve a full flavor and café quality coffee.
Programmable Shot Control
With Bambino Plus, you can preset 1 & 2 cup volumes through a manual override or programmable shot volumes. Its volumetric program shots ensure accurate java every time.
The ThermoJet heat system is ready to heat in 3 seconds. The system is responsible for powering the steam wand to create a silky microfoam for your latte art. It allows the machine to produce steam pressure at 93˚C.
Whether you’re a novice or an experienced barista, steaming milk is much easier with this machine because its texture and shots are consistent.
The Breville Bambino Plus coffee maker comes with a comfortable tamper and two default dual-wall baskets for the portafilter.
Looking for coffee recommendations? Check out these articles to get the best insight into which coffees to buy at home.
- Our 16 Best Dark Roast Coffee Beans
- Our 12 Best Light Roast Coffees To Buy
- 8 Best Sustainable Coffee Brands You Can Trust
- 8 Fair Trade Coffee Brands that Support Social and Environmental Efforts
- The Best Kona Coffee Brands + SCAM WARNING
- 11 Best Decaf Coffee for People with No Plans to Give Up their Coffee Habit
The Breville BES500 is built using the same high-quality stainless steel as other Breville products, yet it comes with a brushed finish. The durability of the coffee machine depends on how often you clean and maintain it.
Since most Breville machines are mass-produced, there might be some computer technicalities you might encounter here and there. Yet, if you follow the type of cleaning it asks and maintain the rest, there isn’t much to worry about. Unless otherwise, you used the coffee maker more than it should be.
- Name: Breville BES500 the Bambino Plus
- Pump Pressure: 15 Bar Italian Pump (when used with pressurized baskets)
- Capacity: 64 ounces
- Construction Materials: Brushed stainless steel
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 7.7″ x 12.6″ x 12.2″
- Weight: 14.4 lbs
- Heat System: Uses a 600W ThermoJet heating system for optimum extraction temperature.
- Power: 1560 Watts
- Pre-Infusion Function: Gradually raises the water pressure, allowing for a more even extraction of the grounds.
- Purge Function: Automatically adjusts water temperatures after steam for optimal coffee temperature.
- Settings: The control panel displays buttons for 1 Cup, 2 Cup, and steaming buttons. It also has buttons dedicated to adjusting the milk temperature and texture level.
- Voltage: 110-120 Volts
- Warranty: 2-year Limited
- 54mm Portafilter
- A Razor™ precision dose-trimming tool
- Two 16 oz stainless steel milk jugs
- Two 1 & 2 cup dual-wall filters baskets
- A cleaning tool
- A cleaning disc
The Breville BES500 Bambino Plus gets less grungy if you flush it and clean it according to what is instructed in the manual.
A portafilter machine is advantageous because coffee grounds never come in contact with the inside of the device. It means your only potential problem to take care of is limescale and other water-related issues.
What You Should Know Before You Buy
Planning to take home the Bambino Plus but still in doubt whether it’s a suitable machine or not? Here’s some valuable information we filtered on the World Wide Web to help you with your buying decision.
- The drip tray of the Bambino Plus is small, which requires emptying after making 1 or 2 drinks.
- It comes with pressurized and non-pressurized single and double-shot baskets.
- You can do advanced brewing (manual shot volume, steaming) or brew coffee automatically, making it a good starter espresso maker.
- For better-tasting espresso coming from Bambino Plus, you’ll need a knock box and a milk thermometer.
- When using the Bambino Plus to steam milk, you’ll need to keep an eye on the base because it won’t conduct heat as fast as the stock jug. It will burn the milk.
- A bottomless portafilter improves the shot consistency pulled from this espresso machine.
- The Bambino Plus is a 9-bar espresso machine but uses 15-bar pump pressure when you brew using a pressurized portafilter.
- If you’re aiming for long-term use of an espresso machine, a Silvia Rancilio or a Gaggia machine is more sustainable than a Bambino Plus. That’s because both are easy to repair and that accessories to upgrade for these machines are readily available.
- You’ll need a good grinder to pair with Bambino Plus in extracting the coffee beans for optimal flavor.
- Though it does not have a hot water dispenser when you buy the unit, you can easily dispense boiling water through its steam rod by pressing and holding the 1 cup or 2 cup button without a portafilter to get water. Afterward, release the buttons once the water starts flowing and press again to stop.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are answers to some of the common questions about the Breville Bambino Plus:
Is the Breville Bambino Plus worth it?
Yes. The Breville Bambino Plus is a good machine if you have no time to make coffee in the morning and go straight out of your door. It will give you an espresso shot within three seconds, which means that every day before going anywhere, all you need to do is get this little guy set up for brewing and made
What is the difference between Breville Bambino and Bambino Plus?
The difference between the Bambino and the Bambino Plus is that the latter has a milk frother, giving you an espresso with textured foam. Likewise, the steaming function of the Bambino Plus is automatic. This machine’s milk frother can be used manually for more control. All you have to do is turn it on and adjust the temperature settings to get the best results.
Which Breville espresso machine is the best?
The Bambino Plus is an excellent machine for anyone looking to make espresso pre-ground or whole bean shots. It’s best suited for those who don’t want the hassle of manually grinding beans but still want quality shots and froths at home!
Suppose you want an upgrade to a café-quality coffee. In that case, you can opt for a commercial machine like Rancilio Silvia or a Breville Dual Boiler, which also has the same features as Bambino Plus but is more flexible with its hot water dispenser and large water tank.
Is Breville a good espresso machine?
Breville is a good espresso machine manufacturer because they produce high-quality espresso machines. Their products are innovative, and they have a wide range of selections in terms of price and features. However, the machine parts of the espresso device aren’t readily available in the market. So if ever your Breville machine breaks down, it’s best to send it back to Breville and maximize your warranty.
How do you use the Breville Bambino Plus?
Breville Bambino Plus is easy to use because it has a one-touch operation. This compact Breville unit is perfect for espresso, cappuccinos, and latte macchiatos because it heats the milk to the ideal temperature and froths them up with ease.
One of my favorite features is that you can use hot water on demand, allowing me to prepare tea or coffee drinks in a jiffy!
The Breville BES500 is a sleek, elegant, and cleverly designed espresso machine that will please even the most discerning coffee connoisseur. Its compact size makes it easy to fit on any countertop, and its brushed stainless steel exterior looks good and is durable enough to last for years.
Bambino Plus Alternatives
If you think Bambino Plus is a fancy espresso appliance to place on your kitchen countertop, here are some of the alternatives that you should check out.
The Breville Barista Express
The Barista Express has a built-in grinder to make espresso. If you do not have a grinder, the unit is much less expensive than buying the Bambino and a separate grinder. This coffee machine also features a traditional steam wand that requires some practice to master. If you do not mind spending time making coffee and learning how to use a manual steam wand, the Barista Express is a more economical way to make coffee.
Gaggia Classic Pro Espresso Machine
The Gaggia Classic Pro is good at producing espresso, but it can’t do so without frothing milk. With a stainless steel build that exudes a modern look, this machine promises to stand the test of time while retaining its value over more years thanks to an add-on and upgrades market, making modding it easy.
- Rugged Brushed Stainless Steel housing
- Commercial three-way solenoid valve. Capacity water tank - 2,1 liter
- Commercial-style 58mm chrome-plated brass portability and brew group
- Commercial steam wand. Rotating steam want movement type
- Easy-to-use rocker switch controls
The Breville Barista Pro
The Barista Pro’s super-fast heating, PID technology for more even extraction, conical burr grinder, and increased steam pressure for delicious espresso drinks all work to ensure that you’re able to enjoy the kind of coffee made exactly how you like it.
- The Breville Barista Pro delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: With a single touch, the integrated precision conical burr grinder with dose control delivers the right amount of coffee on demand, for maximum flavor
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup
- FASTER HEAT UP TIME: Innovative ThermoJet heating system achieves the optimum extraction temperature in 3 seconds with the instantaneous transition from espresso to steam
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at the right temperature +/- 2°C, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
- MANUAL MICROFOAM MILK TEXTURING: The powerful steam wand performs at the level allows you to hand texture microfoam milk that enhances flavor and enables creation of latte art at home
- INTUITIVE INTERFACE: LCD display with grinding and extracting progress animations; The screen provides you all the descriptive information you need to make coffee exactly the way you like it every time
If you are just starting in the coffee world or are transitioning from making your drip coffees at home, the Breville Bambino Plus is a great machine.
It’s not entirely customizable but still has enough features to offer drink upgrades once you learn how to extract beans and froth milk better. Plus, the frothing mechanism of this machine allows you to practice latte art.
And while its footprint is tiny, this machine does require some accessories – namely, a coffee grinder, knock box, and traditional portafilters – if you’re expecting a great-tasting coffee close enough to those you buy in coffee shops.
Other Breville related articles you may be interested in:
- Breville Oracle Touch Review: Best-in-Class Automated Coffee Machine
- Breville Oracle: A Revolutionary 3-in-1 Fully-automatic Espresso Machine
- Breville Dual Boiler: A Satisfying Espresso Drinker’s Tool
- Breville Barista Touch: 3rd Wave Espresso at Home
- Breville Barista Pro: Precise Espresso at Home
- Breville Barista Express: The Ultimate All-In-One Espresso Machine
- Breville Bambino Plus: The Ideal Entry Level Espresso Machine
- Breville Bambino: Starter Espresso Machine with Superb Coffee Quality and Value
- Breville Infuser: Can it Brew the Perfect Espresso?
- Breville Duo Temp Pro: Is it Worth the Hype?
- Breville Smart Grinder Pro: An Intelligent Grinder for Coffee Beans
- Breville Dose Control Pro: THE Smart Coffee Grinder