The DeLonghi Eletta is a super-automatic espresso machine manufactured by a Treviso-based appliance company, DeLonghi. It makes a delicious brew and a perfect foam for any milk-based coffee drinks. With its customizable drink options, one-touch recipes, and features available through the machine’s touch-control LED panel, is this espresso machine a good value or just an overpriced toy?
Our Quick Review
- Prepares a rich crema for any milk-based coffee drinks
- Grinds finer coffee beans when tuned to the finest level
- Programmable coffee machine for a morning brew
- The machine is quite expensive
- User profiles aren’t available to save customized beverages
- Has long cleaning time before and after use
DeLonghi is a small appliance manufacturing company in Treviso, Italy. It was founded in 1902 by the DeLonghi family as a small industrial parts manufacturing workshop. By 1950, the company was incorporated.
Historically, DeLonghi was a portable heater and air conditioning producer. They also ventured into producing small domestic appliances used for food preparation and cooking. Their products eventually extended to household cleaning and ironing accessories.
When DeLonghi managed to acquire the British appliance maker, Kenwood, in 2001, it gave DeLonghi a strong foothold in the domestic appliance industry. DeLonghi gained access to Kenwood’s Chinese factory, from where most of the products are imported. Yet, the design and engineering of these appliances remains in Treviso, Italy.
In April 2012, DeLonghi acquired the perpetual rights to manufacture the Braun products of Procter & Gamble. An initial payment of €50 million was given, with another €90 million to be paid in the next 15 years. Another product that DeLonghi included in its offering are humidifiers that have earned the Asthma and Allergy-Friendly certificate in October 2017.
The De’Longhi Eletta is a fully automatic espresso machine that operates through the Sensor Touch control panel. It’s an espresso machine that works best for any milk-based coffee drink as it uses the patented Latte Crema System. If you are craving a flat white, Macchiato, or Cafe latte, you can prepare these coffee drinks using the Milk Menu function, which automatically creates these drinks. Be sure to read our other DeLonghi reviews if you’re having trouble picking the right model for your needs.
Looking for the ideal roast to use with your coffee machine? Check out some of our favorite coffee bean articles to help you choose the right coffee:
- Our 15 Best Dark Roast Coffee Beans
- Our 11 Best Light Roast Coffees To Buy
- 8 Best Sustainable Coffee Brands You Can Trust
- 8 Fair Trade Coffee Brands that Support Social and Environmental Efforts
- The Best Kona Coffee Brands + SCAM WARNING
- 11 Best Decaf Coffee for People with No Plans to Give Up their Coffee Habit
Features & Benefits of the De’Longhi Eletta
Delonghi is a premium brand for fully automatic espresso machines and cappuccino makers. Every espresso machine model comes with unique, accessible features from customizable drink options to maintenance. Here are some impressive functionalities and details not to miss when you shop for a DeLonghi Eletta.
The Eletta espresso machine has special programmable features that make “one-touch cappuccino” music to the ears. It’s ‘coffee’ options allow you to customize the espresso shots from 1-ounce shot to a classic Doppio serving for a morning boost. Likewise, it gives you full control over coffee lengths from a ristretto to a lungo shot length.
You can customize the settings at the “My Coffee” options through a press and hold programming. So if you want to brew coffee twice the length, you no longer need to set up the coffee lengths as Eletta remembers it. When you select the “Double My Coffee” from the option, it will pull twice the shots length,
The Eletta Cappuccino maker has two independent heating systems. The Thermoblock heats the coffee while the other system warms the milk. Both methods work simultaneously, which makes it an ideal coffee machine for milk-based coffee drinks.
Delonghi uses the Tubeless system, which allows you to brew the freshest coffee. This system reduces the number of coffee grounds left in the grinder. Thus, you rest assured that there’s no leftover coffee powder that will be mixed with your brew each time you brew espresso.
Delonghi Eletta has removable parts, which makes cleaning easy. However, you have to wait before you brew your coffee because it takes too long to clean itself at startup and before shutting off.
Yet, when it comes to the quality of cleaning, the Eletta is commendable because its “rinsing” functionality cleans the coffee spout and the hot water spout thoroughly. Likewise, its “clean” option washes the milk system rigorously. The next time you make a creamy foam for your flat whites, there’ll be no trace of old, crusty milk left on the wand.
The LatteCrema system
Delonghi Eletta employs the LatteCrema system to produce creamy foam for your flat white, cappuccino, or macchiato. This patented system whips up smooth microfoam when you turn the dial. You can choose among the three intuitive icons regarding the texture of the foam that you prefer for your drink.
The LatteCrema system offers options to make classic drinks like latte macchiato, a flat white or cappuccino. So if you want to impress your guest with your version of cappuccino, Eletta is your partner barista. Just twist the foam dial to its highest setting and tap the dedicated cappuccino button to produce that rich, creamy foam you’ll love.
The Delonghi Eletta is an espresso cappuccino with a built-in burr grinder. Although this grinder has thirteen settings to choose from, the grinding with this automatic espresso machine is easy to configure. Since every coffee drinker has a preference for grinding the fresh beans, Eletta is a perfect choice for those coffee snobs. So, tweaking your grinds is possible in this machine.
The De’Longhi Eletta is a combination of full functionality and sophisticated design. You can get Eletta in black color, but if you prefer white to match your kitchen interior, you can opt for the ECAM45.760.W.
It’s a great addition to your essential kitchen appliances because of its compactness. It has a narrow and lengthy body that allows you to store it on cabinets. It is a we bit bigger than the similar model, the Magnifica. It offers a 10 oz bean hopper and an abundant water tank that enables you to store more hot water and keep your milk at the perfect temperature.
Did you find your coffee or milk too hot? No problem! You can adjust the temperature settings on the menu. Alongside these menus are the options for the automatic descaling and rinsing features to ensure your Eletta is always clean before you make a coffee cup.
When you use any Delonghi products, the products are warranted against faults and manufacture defects when used for domestic purposes within the specified period the warranty covers. If the espresso machines are for non-domestic use, the warranty is limited to 6 months only.
Accessories and Add-ons
The De’Longhi Eletta has accessories and add-ons to test the brewing capability. It includes:
- Total Hardness Test indicator: It’s an indicator paper to evaluate the hardness of the water you use in brewing coffee.
- Water Softener Filter: This freebie is only available in Eletta models. It is used to remove the salts in your water that can cause damage to your machine.
- Pre-ground coffee measure: This accessory is used whenever you use the bypass doser.
- Cappuccino maker/hot water spout: This add-on has a release button for water and steam dispensing. Another purpose of this add-on is to use it as a manual frother if you’re not comfortable making coffee with an automatic frothing system.
- Dimensions (l x w x h inches): 14.2 x 10.2 x 18.4
- Weight: 24.5 lbs
- Rated voltage/Frequency (V~Hz): 110/120~50/60
- Input power (W): 1250
- Color: Black
- “LONG” coffee function: Available
- Audio Signal: Available
- Automatic cleaning: Yes
- Auto shutOFF: Yes
- Beans container capacity: 14.1 oz /400g
- Cappuccino System cleaning indicator: Available
- Coffee grounds container: 14 single/7 double espressos
- Uses ground coffee: Yes
- De’Longhi LatteCrema System: Yes
- Descaling, cleaning and rinsing program: Available
- Maximum cup height: 5.5 inches
- Display: 2-line with icons
- Energy-saving function: Yes
- Extra cappuccino device: Yes
- New silent grinder with 13 settings: Yes
- Power supply switch: Available
- Programmable switch-on: Yes
- Programmable water hardness: Yes
- Pump pressure: 15 bars
- Removable drip tray with level indicator: Yes
- Removable infuser unit: Yes
- Removable water reservoir: Yes
- Selection for 1 cup: Yes
- Selection for 2 cups: Yes
- Stand-by function: Yes
- Water filter: Yes
What People Say About Delonghi Eletta
According to r/coffee on Reddit, this machine is a worthy investment, but you’ve got some tweaking to do to the machine.
- I get best shots at 3-2.5 grind setting
- The espresso is weak and the milk is warm-ish with 0% microfoam. It’s either stiff foam or no foam. Try the Long Button to fix this weak espresso issue.
- One I read talked about the default temp on the machine is a bit high, so try turning it down a notch.
If you find Delonghi Eletta too fancy for your budget, we recommend the following espresso machines as an alternative. Feel free to check out our budget espresso machine article as well.
The Jura D6 is an automatic coffee machine made from stainless steel. It is a cost-saving espresso machine as it can prepare professional cafe beverages for a fair cost at the comforts of your home.
- Versatility: coffee maker, espresso maker, and cappuccino maker
- Operation: Operates through Smart Connect App control or text display on the control panel
- Customization: Freedom in adjusting water level, coffee strength and temperature
- Grinder: Has built-in AromaG2 grinder for fast and precise grinding.
- Technology: Uses the Pulse Extraction Process to optimize coffee flavor.
- VERSATILITY: Cappuccino, espresso and coffee maker
- OPERATION: Plain text display or Smart Connect App control
- CUSTOMIZATION: Adjustable water level, coffee strength and temperature
- GRINDER: Fast and precise AromaG2 integrated grinder
- TECHNOLOGY: Flavor optimizing Pulse Extraction Process technology
The DeLonghi Magnifica is a compact cappuccino maker with amazing features. It has programmable control panels, a large water tank, a direct-to-brew system, removable parts, and a descaling program.
- Versatility: coffee maker, espresso maker, and cappuccino maker
- Operation: Has a digital control panel with programmable settings.
- Customization: Has coffee memory functions which allow the recreation of drink in the touch of a button
- Grinder: Has built-in conical burr grinder.
- Technology: Uses Patented Cappuccino System, Direct-to-Brew system, Double-Boiler system, and Instant Reheat system.
- The double shot feature makes your preferred drink, Just taller. It doubles the amount of Coffee and milk
- Integrated STAINLESS steel burr grinder with 13 adjustable settings for whole beans and second chamber for pre-ground Coffee
- Maintenance: de’longhi machines require half the cleaning time of other brands, unlike competitor machines, which require chemical cleaning tablets monthly.
- 60 ounce water tank with water level indicator and filtration system
- Warranties may not apply to purchases from an unauthorized retailer
- Utilize De'Longhi's specialized call center for help in setting up and maintaining your machine at 866 528 8323 (LatteBest)
Saeco Philips PicoBaristo
The PicoBaristo by Saeco Philips is a must-have countertop automatic espresso machine that can brew 11 coffee varieties. It’s a versatile espresso machine as it can prepare 5,000 cups of coffee without descaling.
- Versatility: coffee maker, espresso maker, and cappuccino maker
- Operation: Has a digital control panel with programmable settings to customize volume, temperature, strength, and aroma.
- Customization: Allows the user to adjust and save individual brewing settings with Memo functions.
- Grinder: Has built-in ceramic grinder to extract the full flavor of coffee beans
- Technology: Uses Thermoblock system, and lattePerfetto system
- The largest variety from a compact machine: brews 11 Coffee varieties
- Enjoy up to 5, 000 cups of Coffee without descaling
- Delicious hot cappuccino and latte macchiato at one touch
- Extract maximum flavor with the 100% ceramic grinders; Material boiler: Stainless steel
- Adjust and store your individual length, strength, and temperature with 5 aroma strengths and 10 grinder settings
Our Verdict of the De’Longhi Eletta
The De’Longhi Eletta is one of the best automatic coffee machines with features that compare with high-end espresso machines used in cafes and restaurants. It’s an espresso machine that allows you to make gourmet coffee without going over the entire brewing process. At the touch of a button, you can serve your family and friends with cafe-caliber coffee at a fraction of a cost. Best of all, it comes with a product warranty.