At a Glance: The Best Coffee Grinders for 2020
- BEST OVERALL GRINDER : OXO Brew Conical Burr
- BEST CONICAL BURR GRINDER: Baratza Encore
- BEST BLADE GRINDER: Quiseen One-Touch
- BEST MANUAL GRINDER: Retro
- BEST CAMPING GRINDER: Java Presse
Learn what are the best coffee grinders for you. What you’ve already got at home, what will work best for your favorite cup of coffee and what you might want to acquire for your at home brewing passion.
Burr Grinders $$
- Often ceramic
- Consistent Grind; Important for certain brewing methods
- Can be manual or electric
- Flat or Conical
Conical Burr Grinders $$
- Refers to the shape of the burr grinder; The conical shape forces coffee beans through the grinder and produces a very consistent grind.
- Adjustable: Settings allow you to space the grinders closer or further from each other allowing you to grind either finely or coarsely
- This style doesn’t necessarily require a power source so you will find manual, portable, or stylish antique models on the market that will work for years or even generations
Blade Grinders $
- Stainless Steel blades
- Less Expensive than Burr
- Noisier: Maybe your partner is still sleeping?
- Heat producing; Can affect coffee flavor/taste for those with sensitive palates
- Less accurate grind (think chopped vegetables versus julienne or cubed)
- Requires power source
- Can dull with time. Most blade grinders are not designed to be sharpened and require replacing parts (if possible) or sending to the dump.
BEST OVERALL GRINDER
OXO Brew Conical Burr Grinder with Integrated Scale
- NAME: OXO Brew Burr Grinder with Integrated Scale
- PROS: OXO guaranteed.
- CONS: It’s not cheap. Maybe too sophisticated for some people.
- WHY IT’S GOOD: We love that the basket holds 16oz of beans….This is perfect for trying to roasts on a weekly basis. It’s easy to clean. If you’re particular about achieving the optimal amount (by weight) this machine doses by weight not by time! Wow. Accurate.
BEST CONICAL BURR GRINDER
- NAME: BARATZA ENCORE
- PROS: 40 grind settings! Replaceable grinders.
- CONS: Maybe it’s more than you need?
- WHY IT’S GOOD: This brand designs their grinders to be maintainable so you don’t have to send to the landfill if something goes wrong. 40 settings means you can use this for espresso machines, french press, or anything. This could be the ONLY grinder you’ll ever buy.
BEST MANUAL GRINDER
- BRAND: Hand Ground
- PROS: No power source required. Quiet. Warranty. Great-looking. High Quality Grinder. 15 settings.
- CONS: Gotta use your hands. Pricey.
BEST PORTABLE MANUAL GRINDER
- BRAND: Java Presse
- PROS: 18 click settings. Burr Grinder. Sleek design. Solid. Currently offering free coffee coupon with purchase. Great for Camping.
- CONS: Hand-powered.
I GOT NO TIME FOR THIS – GET EVERYTHING AT ONCE
Bodum K11451-01US Barista Bistro French Press 3 Piece Set, Black
- No Bullshit. Get a Grinder, Electric Kettle, and a French Press ASAP
BEST BLADE GRINDER
- BRAND: Quiseen
- PROS: Like the others in this category, it’s 150 Watts, has a stainless steel blade, but it’s cheap.
- CONS: When the blades break or dull, there’s really nothing you can do but replace it. Blade grinders don’t give you a consistent grind so it wouldn’t be ideal for trying different methods.
- WHY THIS ONE? Look at the rounded cap. When you wipe out or clean your grinder every day, anything in the design to make it easier to clean gets extra points!
Want to find the best coffee bean for your new grinder?